Adults Deserve Fun Too!

Hey Y'all. Coming off a wedding in Madison last night and needed to get a blog out. First off, it was a great ceremony and reception and congrats to the new Mr. and Mrs. Dave (& Tomissa) Freisleben. We had a great time seeing you guys enjoy your best day! Obviously at a wedding of your friends, you see other friends there. We were catching up and seeing what was new in each other's lives when it hit me that there has to be a way to see each other more often as we are running out of friends in the group that are not yet married. Weddings can't possibly be the only time we see each other? As we said some goodbyes, I said to one friend, "I know we say this every time we see each other, but we really gotta get together soon outside of something like this. I'm gonna make it happen this time. Adults deserve fun too!" Megan overheard this and said, "Adults deserve fun, too?!" sarcastically. At this point, I knew I had today's blog idea.

We, as adults, do deserve fun. Remember, I'm speaking from the perspective of a married adult with zero kids currently, but I do think we deserve to have fun (and see each other) more often. On our ride home, Megan and I discussed a way to get this particular friend group together more often in the Milwaukee area by planning something simple like a weekend dinner/drinks, but on a schedule in advance. It makes the planning portion easier for those with kids, and even on our end, it is a commitment because our lives get busy and hectic, and that is how society works these days.

Bringing in the financial theme, when my blog was brought up at the wedding (not by me), one friend commented something like, "Man do I love that my car is paid off." Then looked at me to get under my skin and said "But I'm definitely going to have a car payment in the future because the next one I want is $60,000." He's a close friend and we joke all the time. It is the majority of what our friendship is based upon. I had a very brief response (but only because he was prodding to see what I would say) letting him know that he should get one that is a few years old and costs half the original sticker price because it is going to go down in value anyways.

Another friend said, "we would host a packer or badger party or something, but I don't think you guys would come because we stream TV and it isn't the best way." We shared that we do the same thing and it isn't always the best, but knowing what works for your family is what is most important. When I lived with roommates, we had an average cable/internet bill of $150/month, which my share was coming out to around $600/year (split 3 ways and roommate bills are different than spouse bills). Megan and I currently pay about $575 a year for internet only and stream some shows, etc, instead of locking into a package where we would pay $150 between the two of us or about $1,800 a year. We'll take the $1,200 savings and sacrifice some of those better TV experiences for now.

Here's to an effort of making time to see those friends you don't see as often as you'd like and adults having fun! Congrats to the newly married couple! Reach out to someone you haven't spoken to in a while today and see how they're doing.

Getting Personal
China Lights - My sister Jess and brother-in-law James were in Wisconsin recently and our family went to China Lights together (Groupon pricing). It was an interesting event that was worth going once. I'm not super into art so I'm not sure it is an every year staple, but some relatively cheap entertainment to do as a group. The people we went with were the better part.





BREWERS! The Brewers are in the NLCS and Megan and I went to game 1. It was a pricy ticket through Brewers.com on Thursday morning ($113/ticket) to sit in the nose-bleeds, but the atmosphere was incredible. I forgot what playoff baseball is like. We took a shuttle from Shorewood and had a great time. Hoping to be forced into a decision on spending money on a World Series ticket next week! Go Brewers!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday nights, oh how they've changed...

Emergency Blog