Married Life
Hey Y'all. As most of you know, Megan and I got married on March 1st of this year in Mexico. Many family members and close friends were able to make it to celebrate with us. This was the best party of my life and we had an amazing time, for an entire week! While the wedding day, and week, were great, this blog is going to focus on married life as a whole, not just the wedding itself. Some of the people who have reached out to me and told me about their blog reading enjoyment are at or near these stages and I wanted to share some of the feelings I've had recently being a newly married person.
Challenges - every relationship worth having has some challenges. I would say Megan and I tend to have few challenges, but one of our biggest, although silly, was choosing furniture. If we could make it through this, we could make it through anything (poor attempt at a joke). She wanted style, I wanted comfort. She wanted practical, I wanted comfort. She wanted it shades and tones, I wanted, you guessed it, comfort. Who would give in first? How many more stores could two people go to, looking to purchase two items? Doesn't she know there is a Packer game at noon?! Will it ever end?! Gone were the days of my recliner, here were the days compromise. We eventually sat, laid and landed on a chaise lounge and love seat set, that we both enjoy for it's style, comfort, practicality, comfort, adaptability, and of course, comfort. While this is silly, it was a task we worked at together, was a large purchase, and allowed both of us to express our preferences and realize how much the other actually cared about some of these items.
Pre-wedding - don't stress the small stuff. Work at it together. It isn't up to one of you to make all the decisions, but it also isn't up to one of you to handle all the responsibilities of planning the day. Ideally, this only happens once and should include some of each of your favorite or dreamed up parts to make the day magical. The marriage is more important than the wedding - don't forget it! One of the best pieces of advice I received before the wedding was to take a few minutes a couple times throughout the night to step away with your spouse to look at everyone that is important to you having a great time to celebrate you two. I'll never forget doing this and it was amazing! This will forever be the one piece of advice I give to any people with an upcoming wedding.
From the next day, I felt like a different person. While much of our life didn't change in terms of the day-to-day, I felt a totally new connection to Megan. We receive so much support from those close to us, but I felt as though it was us against the world. I truly believe we can take on anything, if we take it on together.
We didn't keep things from each other before we got married, but I've noticed myself being even more open and sharing my feelings and other things on my mind with her. I can say anything to her without feeling silly. This is the type of feeling you want to feel when choosing that soulmate and I'm so lucky to have it.
I'm sure every couple has inside jokes and sayings to each other that make them cherish their relationship and marriage. We have ours and we love it. From this saying, it has made us realize how happy we are with the life we are building. Whenever things outside aren't going so well (work, friendships/family, etc), realize how happy and lucky you are to have that special someone.
I'm writing this blog not as an expert on dating or relationship advice, just someone who is really happy. I'm very aware we have only been married almost 4 months. When I hit 30 and was single, going on dates to try and find "the one," I was worried that it may never happen. I didn't realize what was right in front of me with a close friend at the time. I realized what I was looking for and my life was changed forever, for the better.
Challenges - every relationship worth having has some challenges. I would say Megan and I tend to have few challenges, but one of our biggest, although silly, was choosing furniture. If we could make it through this, we could make it through anything (poor attempt at a joke). She wanted style, I wanted comfort. She wanted practical, I wanted comfort. She wanted it shades and tones, I wanted, you guessed it, comfort. Who would give in first? How many more stores could two people go to, looking to purchase two items? Doesn't she know there is a Packer game at noon?! Will it ever end?! Gone were the days of my recliner, here were the days compromise. We eventually sat, laid and landed on a chaise lounge and love seat set, that we both enjoy for it's style, comfort, practicality, comfort, adaptability, and of course, comfort. While this is silly, it was a task we worked at together, was a large purchase, and allowed both of us to express our preferences and realize how much the other actually cared about some of these items.
Pre-wedding - don't stress the small stuff. Work at it together. It isn't up to one of you to make all the decisions, but it also isn't up to one of you to handle all the responsibilities of planning the day. Ideally, this only happens once and should include some of each of your favorite or dreamed up parts to make the day magical. The marriage is more important than the wedding - don't forget it! One of the best pieces of advice I received before the wedding was to take a few minutes a couple times throughout the night to step away with your spouse to look at everyone that is important to you having a great time to celebrate you two. I'll never forget doing this and it was amazing! This will forever be the one piece of advice I give to any people with an upcoming wedding.
From the next day, I felt like a different person. While much of our life didn't change in terms of the day-to-day, I felt a totally new connection to Megan. We receive so much support from those close to us, but I felt as though it was us against the world. I truly believe we can take on anything, if we take it on together.
We didn't keep things from each other before we got married, but I've noticed myself being even more open and sharing my feelings and other things on my mind with her. I can say anything to her without feeling silly. This is the type of feeling you want to feel when choosing that soulmate and I'm so lucky to have it.
I'm sure every couple has inside jokes and sayings to each other that make them cherish their relationship and marriage. We have ours and we love it. From this saying, it has made us realize how happy we are with the life we are building. Whenever things outside aren't going so well (work, friendships/family, etc), realize how happy and lucky you are to have that special someone.
I'm writing this blog not as an expert on dating or relationship advice, just someone who is really happy. I'm very aware we have only been married almost 4 months. When I hit 30 and was single, going on dates to try and find "the one," I was worried that it may never happen. I didn't realize what was right in front of me with a close friend at the time. I realized what I was looking for and my life was changed forever, for the better.




Comments
Post a Comment