Hello, Shorewood!

We've officially moved into our new apartment and we've been here a week. There was no chance I was going to get a blog out last weekend, or this week, due to being busy unpacking and picking up some extra hours at side jobs. I really meant to get a photo of the friends that helped us move, but we totally forgot, and thinking further, we were all gross, sweaty, tired and dirty. Thanks again to my parents, Megan's mom, Chad Dekker, Adam Schmitz and Kieven Sperry. Much appreciated, gang!


Our last apartment was really nice, and underpriced for what it included. It had a lot of new appliances and updates. Our new apartment is the upper of a house in Shorewood. The new unit has a lot of character as it is a house instead of the cookie-cutter features a lot of apartment buildings have. However, it has some older features like creaky hardwood floors, and older style doorways and ceilings. We're still figuring out exactly how we want to decorate everything.


We've done the classic "check-in sheet" with any damages or things not working as expected upon move in. We're currently battling a shower head that sprays wildly with violent streams that feel like they could puncture your skin. The new building-owners have gotten back to us and said they'll have a plumber out this week. *Fingers crossed this happens.*

I've been adjusting to our new responsibilities as we're now in charge of "summer duties" including lawn care. So far, I've trimmed some weeds near the parking area, branches in the driveway and have been watching the forecast to cut the grass. I was secretly enjoying this, until Megan goes, "you're really enjoying these yard duties, aren't you?" Busted. We've also moved our balcony plants to the front steps, which are a nice greeting when you get home, but also seem to have gotten away from the devilish squirrels of our old digs. Hoping our plants really take off and we have some fresh peppers in the coming weeks.



Again, our plan is to live here for a year with the idea of saving up a large down payment to purchase a home. We're 2 months in and slightly ahead of our projections. We've figured out our costs on a regular monthly basis and left some wiggle room for when life isn't so regular. Each month we start with how much we need to save, and what we can put into our monthly budget categories to still reach our goals.

We're still adjusting to this new (to us) apartment, and figuring out our routines, including sharing one bathroom. As I was typing out some of what I thought our feelings were I asked Megan to read the blog before publishing and she looked up and said, "Home is wherever I am with you." I can't agree more. I included a couple selfies from our walk this afternoon down to Atwater Beach with Lake Michigan in the background. We've been there plenty of times before, but this was our first time as "Shorewood residents."



Cheers to optimism - find the best in your situation!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday nights, oh how they've changed...

Adults Deserve Fun Too!

Emergency Blog