Control

Hey Y'all! I came across two quotes recently that reminded me of each other. Some people are very quote driven and need something new. I don't always seek them out, but when you find a good one, you know immediately. These two spoke to me and tied together instantly.



What can you control? Nothing? Everything? Some things? Who decides this? Megan posted the first quote, "Today I will not stress over things I can't control" to her IG story. This quote is so important because every day we come across hundreds if not thousands of situations, big or small, that we cannot control. We have a decision to let them impact our lives, or to keep them from impacting our lives. The decision is ours.

The second quote I came across on Instagram from Jaylen Brown, NBA player for the Boston Celtics. I've heard variations of this quote, but it reads "You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending." I've shared some parts of this in previous blogs about starting where you are and not being able to change the past. Everyone has made mistakes in the past, and some impact your future more than others. However, it is those mistakes that mold and improve us, as long as we learn from them. Today is the first day you have a choice to change your future. If you wanted to make a change last week and didn't, this is a new week and new opportunity to make a better version of yourself. While you can't change the past, you can change the future, but the time to do it disappears every day you don't make that change. YOU are in CONTROL.

When I saw these quotes I consider them for myself, Megan, and our marriage, but also for those around me. The other day when getting ready to start a blog post, I realized what my bio was for this blog and how it remains true, "The life and times of a 30-something millennial that wants more from life for himself, his family and everyone out there." This gave me a boost when thinking about what to write this next blog about. I truly want the best for you guys (readers) or friends that you share with. That is why I continually share lifestyle choices that have continued to prevent those stresses to come into our life and allow us to remain in control. We control our financial decisions and continue to make progress. It is NOT too late for you to change your ending. Consider those changes, form a plan, and take control. Make a plan and stick to it. It is not easy at first, it does take a little time, but it is worth it. From the Dave Ramsey radio show, he shares that "money fights and money problems are the number one cause of divorce in North America." When we became aware of this, Megan and I wanted to make sure we were on the same page with our finances and transparency with spending. By spending about 15 minutes a month talking finances, we have controlled how our finances impact our feelings. They don't control us by stressing us out. We control them by having a plan.

Getting Personal:
My cousin from the fantasy football draft (blog) text me this week saying he has read The Total Money Makeover and said, "Not sure if I'm ready to go all in but definitely gonna change my spending habits and try to pay down some debts." He then asked if I've read any other books by the Dave talent and asked for recommendations and that he was going to the library to pick them up. My heart skipped a beat and the grin on my face was ear-to-ear. So happy for him and the progress he is about to make!

Date Night! Megan and I both oversee Special Olympics for our respective workplaces/School District Recreation Departments. This Thursday, our date night was attending the annual online meeting. We both get more joy from these programs and athletes than they get from participating. We'll also attend the regional bowling competition to see our athletes compete against each other.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday nights, oh how they've changed...

Adults Deserve Fun Too!

Emergency Blog