Drops in a Bucket

Hey Y'all! During our walk on Friday night, I came across the tree pictured below. I walked past and turned around. I immediately had my phone out to grab a picture and Megan wanted to keep walking. I told her to come back and look at it. Yes, it is just a tree. But when you look closer, it is a tree, growing from the concrete, between two buildings, with limited sunlight, no soil, etc. If this tree can make it through life, so can we!


One new life metaphor I've been using lately involves making progress. Someone told me this theory, and I didn't think much of it at that time, but I have come back to it a number of times. "If you keep putting drops in a bucket, eventually the bucket will fill up." I've been using this metaphor in multiple areas of my life and our life, and it certainly pertains to the financial side. If you string together a good week, a couple weeks, then a month, then a few months, six months, a year, a couple years, a decade, and a lifetime it can change everything. Small behaviors done over and over become habit and then lifestyle.

This tree didn't get like this overnight. It took time. Reaching our goals doesn't happen overnight either. Anything worth achieving takes time and effort to accomplish. Our bucket has started to collect some water. We have a lot more to add, but we can see progress. Using a plan, you can too!

I hope things are going well for you, no matter what stage you're at. None of us are running the same race. Megan and I hit our quarterly goal for the large down payment we're planning on a house next spring. We have been extremely diligent about sticking to our plan each month. Our plan includes following our budget very closely. Late in the month, we come up with our budget for the next month and make minor adjustments. We've had some fun, but also made sure to stay within our means for our bigger goal. Each month can look a little different where the first two weeks includes more bills or social expenses, and sometimes those items or events are in the latter half. It has been really helpful for us to look at the month long picture and be sure to communicate during that time frame.

Since starting this blog, I've shared a few copies of the Total Money Makeover (audio book link) book with friends. One other thing I've (and sometimes Megan) done is meet with those who ask, to discuss their financial situation and help formulate a plan. I've met with a friend and his wife to discuss where they are at currently and to share some of what we use for our plan with them. They are only a couple months in, but have a clearer picture of what they're trying to do. They've started using an EveryDollar budget and know where their month is going.

Megan and I met with a newly engaged couple to discuss much of what has worked for us. We shared some ideas and gave them a recommendation on what could work for them. They are in a unique situation of planning, saving for, and paying for a wedding, while also trying to pay off student loans. Being on the same page financially is very helpful going into a marriage, and they've also shared some of our ideas and plan with their pre-marriage counselor.

On a smaller scale, friends and family have asked more questions about the plan we are on and what they are doing. Quality conversation and education both ways about all sorts of financial knowledge, has helped us, and others, understand what works for each other.

Before I was introduced to the Baby Steps and Dave Ramsey I was kind of bopping along with what I thought was right, but the truth was that I never had any formal financial education. Most of us don't receive an educational course on this that relates to daily or personal finance. Other than realizing I needed to spend less than I made and pay down debt, I didn't know what I was doing, much less why I was doing it. The truth is, having a plan, or understanding interest rates, investing, mortgages, and many other things are rarely taught to us. We often make a decision, then realize the flaws of that decision and determine what we will do differently before we make a similar decision again in the future. Don't let it be too late the first time around. Learn more before making large decisions. Nobody wants to just give you money, so why do you want to give them yours without knowing more about their product or service?

My biggest purpose and what I want readers to takeaway from this blog is that it is important to educate yourselves and have a plan. We live in the best day and age of the ability to teach yourself information through multiple avenues that there has ever been. You can watch a YouTube video on how to unclog your sink drain (example because we just did this!) and do it yourself in 5 minutes! Understanding your finances is one of the most important decisions you will ever make, and NOW is the time! Don't rely on someone else, or the government to take care of you. If you try, you'll be able to take care of yourself better than anyone else!

Keep putting drops in your bucket and fill that thing up!

Getting Personal:

Date Night - Friday nights are a little different. It used to mean planning which bars to go to. This past Friday we went for a walk to one of our favorite spots - Atwater Beach in Shorewood. We had leftover Crock-Pot buffalo chicken for dinner. Date night concluded with a walk to Culver's for a couple single scoops using the "Free Scoop" coupon from a Kids Meal that we have saved up.



We spent quite a bit on restaurants early this month, so the second half of the month will be using our grocery budget or cupboard meals. Saturday night we had curry stir fry from the freezer that Megan is able to put an amazing spin on. Who knew I liked curry?! Yummmmm!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday nights, oh how they've changed...

Adults Deserve Fun Too!

Emergency Blog