Getting Older...

Hey Y'all. This blog is being powered by Thanksgiving meals and desserts. I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and were able to spend some time reflecting on what you're thankful for and why. Outside of the obvious items that most are thankful for - family, friends, etc, what else is there?


I was asked a question recently on how old I was. The person was coming up on 30 years old and was getting nervous. Without hesitation, I stated how I was happy with my age and how life has continued to get better every year. I truly believe that every year of my life has been better than the last. Sure, there have been ups and downs each year, but consistently, things have gotten better. There are the common checkpoints - 16 and getting your driver's license, 18 and independence/adulthood, freshman year of college and leaving the nest, 21 and a new social life, college graduation and a job with a real paycheck. Along with all of those checkpoints comes a new level of responsibility.

As a real adult, responsibilities change. All of sudden, you need to find a job, and a place to live (alone, significant other, or with roommates). Then you start to have some bills - rent/mortgage, utilities, student loans, etc. However, you probably make a priority to have some disposable income and do some fun things. I remember taking vacations with friends or to visit friends who live in a different state. I continued to find fun things to do, new hobbies, and enjoyable ways to spend my time.

As you get older, you tend to learn a little about yourself. If you don't enjoy doing something, you have the ability to stop doing it. If you are in a rut, make some changes. Continue to learn more about yourself and what you enjoy. When you find things you enjoy doing, immerse yourself in them. Wherever you spend your time is where you will see progress. If you ignore something, how would you get better at it? If you totally focused on something, wouldn't you get better at it?

If you're reading this, and you're unsure of where you are, or uncertain of your happiness, take some time and evaluate. What things in life are causing you stress? How can you eliminate them? What things are causing you joy? How can you enjoy more of them? What if we made a conscious effort to find joy instead of hoping for it?

Do not fear getting older. Embrace getting wiser. Remember, this blog is about wanting more for myself and my family, but also for all of my friends and readers. You deserve the best. Remember that when you make a decision, and don't feel bad about it.

Cheers to a conscious effort on seeking happiness and making the most of life!


Getting Personal:
This past Friday we were able to check out the new Fiserv Forum and my first Bucks game this year. The stadium is unbelievable! It truly is state of the art. The amount of vendors for food and beverages was incredible. There were so many different areas to check out and almost always easily be able to see the game. Unfortunately, the Bucks lost to the lowly Suns, but they came back and got the win on Saturday. Go Bucks!


A close friend was in town from California so it was great to catch up with him, and others as we spent some time visiting around the holidays.


Megan and I spent Thanksgiving in Madison and had just enough time to stop by the Manz household to see baby Olivia. Still practicing this baby holding thing, but she slept through it and the adults got to catch up as well.

Comments

  1. Trust me, getting old does not have to be scary. At least for me. Each birthday, I celebrate that I lived another year. Happy. Healthy. And all the other cliche's.
    But honestly, I have my family who are happy and in love. A job I love, and other things I appreciate more with every year. I see friends my age sick, unhappy, unable to live their lives to the fullest for whatever reason, and I am grateful. I thank God every day for those things, and never forget how lucky I am to be 55.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friday nights, oh how they've changed...

Adults Deserve Fun Too!

Emergency Blog