Try Something New
Hey Y’all! Blogging live (last night) from DIA Denver International
Airport during a 2.5 hour delay on Saturday night. It doesn’t get any better
than this!
Megan and I just got back from Colorado last night. We were
attending her sister Emily and new brother-in-law Mark’s wedding. The views
were amazing and so was the whole wedding.
Megan was the Matron of Honor and was thrilled to be by her
sister’s side on her big day. Emily was Megan’s Maid of Honor March 1, 2018 so
she got to return the favor a little over a year later.
Back in September, at Megan’s mom’s wedding, Emily and Mark
asked me if I would be their officiant for their wedding. Initially, I was
shocked, paused, and didn’t respond. I was trying to process why they were
asking me, and what would all be required for me to do a great job. After about
10 seconds I said, “Yes” and was super excited to be part of their wedding.
Over the next few months I jotted down some notes that I
wanted to include in the ceremony. I continued doing this and adding as I had
stories about the couple. I tried to think back to our wedding and what the
ceremony looked like. We needed to include introductions, how the couple met,
background about them, a unity ceremony, vows and ring exchange. I made sure that
they liked the order and included the items specific to their requests. Their
dog, Bruce, was the ring bearer and had their rings around his bow tie collar.
He was a very good boy and did his job perfectly – a real primetime player!
Because this wedding was in Colorado, I had literally zero
legal obligations like getting ordained or taking an online test. I did sign
the marriage license after the ceremony as a witness and that completed my
duties. Mark and Emily chose a gorgeous venue, outside on a deck with the
mountains in the background.
This was the most nervous I’ve been for a task in a long
time. People asked me leading up to the ceremony if I was nervous, and I didn’t
lie. I told them I was. It was the first time I was officiating a wedding, and it
was a very important duty. People remember their wedding day for the rest of
their lives. I really wanted to do a great job. It wasn’t as though I was
trying something new and there was nobody there to see me. The stage was set
with 125+ people there to see the couple get married.
As the groomsmen and bridesmaids began walking down the
aisle, I actually got a little less nervous. It was show time and I could rely
on my preparation and memories of the couple. Emily came down the aisle with
her parents and she looked stunning. As we were about to start, I remembered
the advice my Mother-in-law gave me. The people attending weren’t there to see
me; They were there for the couple. I was just the lucky one getting to tell
their story. I included some jokes, some stories and needed to recognize some
of the individuals attending, as they are a huge part of the lives of the
couple. The ceremony went better than I
expected, the rain held out and it was amazing. They may very well be the only
couple I ever marry! I’m so happy for you Mark & Emily GAFARI! Enjoy your
honeymoon in Hawaii. You guys deserve all the happiness in the world and I’m so
excited to see the future you build with each other!
When was the last time you tried something new? Did you do
it by choice or by force? What will be the next new thing you try? This was a
great way for me to try something new and dive all the way in. It was exciting
and important, nerve-wracking and special. I’m so happy I had this experience
and was able to be a part of Mark and Emily’s wedding day!
Getting personal: Megan is now 32 weeks pregnant. The wedding was held in Breckenridge,
Colorado – elevation 10,000. Elevation can do some weird things to your body like
making you feel bloated, gassy, out of breath, etc. Emily secured an oxygen
tank that Megan slept hooked up to each night and would make some time to get
back to the room for 5-10 minutes and it was a huge help.
Megan is doing a great job listening to her body when it
tells her to slow down or take it easy. She was a real trooper this trip being
there for her sister, running interference when the bride needed it, and
dancing at the rehearsal.
The photos above were captured by me, but there are much better photos out there on Facebook from their wonderful photographer, Steph Murray Photos.
Now that we’re back, it’s time to start putting baby
furniture together in Baby P’s bedroom.
PS – we bought a house! We’ve been real busy getting things
in order which has slowed the blog down.









Comments
Post a Comment