We Bought A House!
Hey Y’all! I know the blog has been slow lately, but I had
to get this one out. We have officially bought a house. We moved in on June 1st
and have been working on some projects right as we moved in.
Quick Facts:
·
Location: Wauwatosa – right in the middle of our
jobs so commuting has been much better, for me J
·
Shout-outs: We had lots of high quality moving
help from Kevin & Ann Phalin, Adam Schmitz, Chad Doedens, Greg Manz and
Charlie Thompson. We couldn’t have done it without them!
·
Move-in projects: Refinished hardwood floors on
main floor, painted baby room, electrical updates, basement shelving, putting
lots of boxed furniture together.
About 15 months ago I shared that we were moving into an
apartment and planning to save for a large down payment and some of the
structures we planned to utilize for buying the house. Setting these goals and
sharing them held us accountable. When I
shared this initially, some readers and friends shared what has worked for them
or what they would do differently. It was great to hear from them to help guide
our decisions and process. We did work really hard towards our goal and stuck
to our plan the entire time.
I did take a new job and saw a pay increase as we were in
the house hunt which changed our budget a little bit for what we thought was
reasonable and stuck to a monthly payment (mortgage, insurance, taxes and PMI)
that came out to less than 25% of our monthly income. We were able to put the
house on a 15-year mortgage and locked in a fixed rate of 3.625% on the loan.
We evaluated our situation, and decided to accept PMI (due to having less than 20% down payment or loan-to-value), but it is about $23/month due to the loan type.
One thing we expected and planned for, but continue to be
surprised by is that houses can be really expensive. We chose to decorate the
basement area that is finished, which meant new furniture for the living room.
One of the perks of the house was an additional entertainment space. We look
forward to hosting family and friends in the future! June quickly became an
expensive month, but we had a plan and stuck to it.
Before we moved, we had a long list of what we needed to do
when we moved in regards to finances including the following:
·
Update addresses on any subscription-based or
mailing services.
·
List potential expenses – furniture, house updates
(flooring, electrical), continuing retirement contributions, and saving for a
newer car.
·
Future items – Baby P’s college fund (529 Plan).
·
Beginning to attack the mortgage at a faster
rate than the base payment required.
All of these items have a different priority, but having
them on the list meant having a plan in place. As life changes, we update the
list with some items moving up and some moving down, while others get checked
off and some even removed altogether. The most important aspect of this list is
that we have a plan and continue to follow it. I know I’ve mentioned I am a
“list” person for just about any project. It allows me to see what we have
accomplished and see progress. It is a constant reminder that we are headed in
the right direction.
We’re excited about where we are living; the entertainment
nearby and the neighbors seem normal to this point! Let us know when you’re in
the neighborhood to stop by and see the house!
Please remember that I share this information to provide
knowledge and be a resource. We firmly believe in our plan and have seen it
work for us. Every person or couple has different numbers (income, debt,
retirement plans and taste). I never judge anyone for their decisions, and wish
everyone the satisfaction and peace-of-mind that we have found with our
finances through using a structured plan. If you have any questions, please
reach out and let me know. I’m happy to discuss and share more information if
you are seeking it. Remember that none of this happens overnight, and takes
consistency and discipline week after week, month after month, and year after
year. Don’t wait for someone else to rescue you, when you can provide for
yourself!
Getting personal: Having a nice looking lawn is something I
now take pride in and realize I get that from my dad.
We took some time out to go to Summerfest for some people watching, friends, background music, and a Saz's sampler platter.


So so proud of you both!! You continue to inspire me as a couple and as a budget power couple. Can't wait to visit your home and bring you pickles :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Amber! Having a great partner makes every part easier. The budget has been something that has helped us a ton to make decisions, avoid fights, and stay on the same page to plan our future. See you soon!
Delete