2020 - Creating Goals & Being Intentional
Hey Y'all! Happy Holidays and Happy New Year from me (Megan and Laney).
! It's been a while between blogs, but I had to get this one out before 2020 hits! I'm posting this blog to make myself more accountable. A few weeks back I sat down to put together some goals and I wanted to share those with you, and hopefully get you to create some goals for yourself. Megan and I also created some 'couple goals' mostly around finance and what we want to accomplish together, along with timelines for when we should be hitting those goals.
Before I get into what my goals are, I wanted to share a little bit about this specific blog's title and why it mentions being intentional. We, as humans, are capable of incredible things, especially when put our focus and attention to them. Think about how many things you have accomplished in life. Some are easy and some more difficult. Then life gets harder with school and college, jobs, and kids. Any time you have ever wanted something, it has taken effort and intentionality to achieve those goals. That brings me to the title once more - 'Being Intentional.' What is it that you would like to achieve or accomplish in 2020? What will you do to achieve it? Will you be intentional enough to put some checkpoints and behavior in place to achieve these goals?
One of my general themes with my goals has been to be more productive in my free time. It is so easy in this day and age to sit on your phone in front of a TV and I realize that I'm spending way too much time doing just that. I'm not saying I won't spend any time doing those things, but the goals I've put in place are meant to reduce that amount of time spent browsing social media looking at stuff I've already seen and not gaining any value from.
There are only so many hours in the day, and each one is precious. I've had to find ways to maximize my time recently with having an infant around. I've started to get up earlier and workout before work a few days a week so I can be home in the evening right after work. What if you found one hour per week to work towards something you've wanted to do? That would be 52 hours this year! I've started reading in the evening with the TV in the background and feel much better about myself.
My goals for 2020 include:
My challenge to you for 2020 is to dream about what you would like to accomplish! Would you like to pay off your credit cards/student loan/car? Would you like to read 3 books or start an educational podcast? Start working out? Work out more? Get a promotion? Each person's situation is different, but let's get some of those goals together and develop a plan to accomplish them. Time to get out your paper and pen, or spreadsheet if you're like me, and put some of those ideas down.
When we are ending 2020, what if you looked up and saw that you had checked off your entire list of goals? How great would that be? Now is the time to put some plans in order to make the goals are reality. Leave your goals in the comments below, or send a DM so we can be each other's accountability partners. I plan to provide an update on my progress each month as well.
Getting personal: We just got back from Virginia to celebrate Christmas with family - my sister Jess lives there with her husband James and their daughter Reese. It was our first time in Virginia, but also our first time taking an infant on an airplane. We had a lot of help getting there with my sister Kelsey and both parents on the same flights as us, but we were definitely tested with a fog delay and leaving the Milwaukee airport to head to Chicago by driving there. We had the privilege of going through security in Milwaukee and Chicago before boarding one flight. On the way back from Virginia we had a very small plane that was over-fueled, causing an imbalance of weight requiring us to wait to take-off. The best solution they had was to 'burn fuel' for roughly an hour. The plane was very warm and Laney was having a very hard time with this - super warm, rash starting, lots of screaming and crying and no end in sight. The flight attendant was as helpful as she could be and eventually we did take-off back to Chicago then on home to Wauwatosa. We made it!
In Virginia we spent a lot of time with family, went swimming with Laney, took lots of photos, spoke more 'baby talk' than planned, walked Colonial Williamsburg, played Chickenfoot and ate way too many sweets! We also brought steak sandwiches along frozen, bought a grill, had one 3 month old get her ears pierced and enjoyed a lot of outdoor weather in the 50's/60's.
! It's been a while between blogs, but I had to get this one out before 2020 hits! I'm posting this blog to make myself more accountable. A few weeks back I sat down to put together some goals and I wanted to share those with you, and hopefully get you to create some goals for yourself. Megan and I also created some 'couple goals' mostly around finance and what we want to accomplish together, along with timelines for when we should be hitting those goals.
Before I get into what my goals are, I wanted to share a little bit about this specific blog's title and why it mentions being intentional. We, as humans, are capable of incredible things, especially when put our focus and attention to them. Think about how many things you have accomplished in life. Some are easy and some more difficult. Then life gets harder with school and college, jobs, and kids. Any time you have ever wanted something, it has taken effort and intentionality to achieve those goals. That brings me to the title once more - 'Being Intentional.' What is it that you would like to achieve or accomplish in 2020? What will you do to achieve it? Will you be intentional enough to put some checkpoints and behavior in place to achieve these goals?
One of my general themes with my goals has been to be more productive in my free time. It is so easy in this day and age to sit on your phone in front of a TV and I realize that I'm spending way too much time doing just that. I'm not saying I won't spend any time doing those things, but the goals I've put in place are meant to reduce that amount of time spent browsing social media looking at stuff I've already seen and not gaining any value from.
There are only so many hours in the day, and each one is precious. I've had to find ways to maximize my time recently with having an infant around. I've started to get up earlier and workout before work a few days a week so I can be home in the evening right after work. What if you found one hour per week to work towards something you've wanted to do? That would be 52 hours this year! I've started reading in the evening with the TV in the background and feel much better about myself.
My goals for 2020 include:
- Read one book per month - share recommendations with me! I'm mostly looking for books that help with professional and personal growth.
- Update my journal every two months - This is more of a family update so we can share with our kids and remember what we were doing in each stage of life.
- Write 1-2 blogs per month.
- Meet & have conversations with a mentor.
- Be a mentor - I'm still working on the structure of this, but considering trying to set up discussions with people seeking professional coaching, financial advice, etc. If you would be interested in sitting down for a brief conversation or FaceTime, let me know!
I've started to develop a blog content checklist so I have upcoming content ready. If you have something you think would be helpful to understand, let me know so I can share some information about that topic. Look for more blogs in 2020 - and please share recommendations for content!
My challenge to you for 2020 is to dream about what you would like to accomplish! Would you like to pay off your credit cards/student loan/car? Would you like to read 3 books or start an educational podcast? Start working out? Work out more? Get a promotion? Each person's situation is different, but let's get some of those goals together and develop a plan to accomplish them. Time to get out your paper and pen, or spreadsheet if you're like me, and put some of those ideas down.
When we are ending 2020, what if you looked up and saw that you had checked off your entire list of goals? How great would that be? Now is the time to put some plans in order to make the goals are reality. Leave your goals in the comments below, or send a DM so we can be each other's accountability partners. I plan to provide an update on my progress each month as well.
Getting personal: We just got back from Virginia to celebrate Christmas with family - my sister Jess lives there with her husband James and their daughter Reese. It was our first time in Virginia, but also our first time taking an infant on an airplane. We had a lot of help getting there with my sister Kelsey and both parents on the same flights as us, but we were definitely tested with a fog delay and leaving the Milwaukee airport to head to Chicago by driving there. We had the privilege of going through security in Milwaukee and Chicago before boarding one flight. On the way back from Virginia we had a very small plane that was over-fueled, causing an imbalance of weight requiring us to wait to take-off. The best solution they had was to 'burn fuel' for roughly an hour. The plane was very warm and Laney was having a very hard time with this - super warm, rash starting, lots of screaming and crying and no end in sight. The flight attendant was as helpful as she could be and eventually we did take-off back to Chicago then on home to Wauwatosa. We made it!
In Virginia we spent a lot of time with family, went swimming with Laney, took lots of photos, spoke more 'baby talk' than planned, walked Colonial Williamsburg, played Chickenfoot and ate way too many sweets! We also brought steak sandwiches along frozen, bought a grill, had one 3 month old get her ears pierced and enjoyed a lot of outdoor weather in the 50's/60's.
Matching elf cousins hanging out for the second time. Laney went with a pretty natural arm around Reese somehow!






Comments
Post a Comment